Hackensack is a unique and diverse city on the verge of a Renaissance. We are home to the Bergen County Judiciary, County Government, world-renowned medical center and nationally-recognized educational institutions. The city is conveniently situated along Routes 4, 17 and 80 and is also served by two NJ Transit train stations providing frequent service to NYC via Hoboken and Secaucus. Our downtown bus transfer station provides access to virtually anywhere. Our history dates back to the 1600’s and General Washington was briefly headquartered here during his famous 1776 Retreat. 45,000 people are proud to call Hackensack home.
Located in the downtown area of Hackensack, transformed from an old Masonic Temple, the City of Hackensack is home to a state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center. The new HACPAC is a home that nurtures new artists in the form of playwrights, musicians, directors, choreographers and visual artists. It is also be the home for professional theater companies and arts organizations. Premier entertainers, which include Broadway and Hollywood stars, as well as Grammy Award-winning artists, call HACPAC home during our PAC the House Series. The HACPAC’s goal is to bring top quality entertainment for all ages, across all arts disciplines. The downtown location, combined with convenient public parking, makes it the perfect stop for a day or weekend of shows, shopping, and dining
The Mellone & Marinelllo Recreation Center is home to the Hackensack Recreation Department. The Hackensack Rec Department provides a range of programs for a variety of interests. Throughout the year special events are scheduled including magic shows, parties, and other recreational activities. A full schedule of events and programs can be found on the Recreation Website.
Senator William Johnson sought to share his love of learning with the people of Hackensack in the spring of 1900 by offering the community a new building and 5,000 dollars worth of new books for the establishment of a free public library.
Senator Johnson purchased the property on the corner of Main and Camden Streets, extending east to Moore Street, as the site of the soon to be constructed library. The building was worth 60,000 dollars at the time it was built. It was made of brown Belleville stone and the walls were covered with ivy. It has been enlarged twice since it was originally erected, but the original structure has never been torn down.