Please Call 201-646-3965
Where to Apply:
1. The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
2. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in and may only be used in the issuing municipality.
Who Must Come to Apply:
1. Applicant A and Applicant B – Both applicants must appear in our office to apply for a Marriage license.
2. Witness – Only one witness, who is over 18 years of age and knows them both.
3. Translators: If either of the applicants or the witness does not speak English you must bring a translator.
What to Bring:
1. Identification and Proof of Age – Acceptable identification and proofs of age are:
A. For citizens: certified copies of birth certificates.
B. Citizens by Naturalization: Naturalization certificates.
C. Non-citizens: valid passports or alien cards.
D. You must be at least 18 yrs old to apply for a marriage license.
2. Social Security Cards.
3. Proof of Marital Status – Previously married applicants must show proof of divorce or proof that they are widowed or a widower. Acceptable proofs are a certified copy of the final decree of divorce or a certified copy of the death certificate for the former spouse.
4. Proof of Residency – Drivers license, utility bill, or tax bill.
5. Marriage Officiant Information – Applicants should have information about who is going to marry them, where, and when, which includes a mailing address and phone for the officiant.
6. Fee: $28.00 Money Order, Debit/Credit Card
Three (3) Day Waiting Period:
In New Jersey there is a mandatory three (3) day or 72 hours waiting period from the time that you apply for a license until you can pick it up for use. If you are planning to be married on a particular weekend, the latest that you can apply is the Tuesday before, in order to satisfy the three days (72 hours) by Friday, since we are NOT open on the weekends for the release of marriage licenses.
Do not sign the marriage application prior to going to the Municipal Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority
The application form must be completed in full with exact complete information. Names must be completely spelled out, including middle names, no initials. You may not sign the form until after you have taken the oath given by the Registrar at the Health Department.
Links to the forms appear in the red box above.
FORMS & INSTRUCTIONS