5/23/2011 - National Physical Fitness & Sports Months
The Hackensack Recreation Department and The Hackensack Health Department is teaming up with the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the months of May and June, we challenge you to include 30 minutes of physical activity each day. Physical activity not only increases your chances of living longer, it also reduces your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. In New Jersey nearly 35 Percent of us do not get enough physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes walking fast, dancing, or raking leaves. Do strengthening activities, like sit-ups and pushups, at least 2 days a week. By getting active, you will sleep better, strengthen your bones, and lower your risk of depression.
• We are currently registering for our Summer Playground program. It is a 6 week, 5 day a week program that incorporates a wide variety of organized exorcise and activities.
• We are also holding registrations for Flag Football, which will take place in the early part of the summer. We are also excepting registrations for Hackensack Jr. (tackle) Football right now as well
• Cheerleading registration is also taking place now.
• We taking registration for our Co-ed Adult Softball league (25 years old and up). This season takes place throughout the summer
• Zumba Classes. The Hackensack Recreation Department is teaming up with ICAL and will be adding more Zumba Classes. We will be kicking off our new season at the Recreation Center on May 21, at 1:00. We will then be brining the Zumba party outside at Staib Park every Monday at 6:30 throughout the late spring and summer months. Please call 201-283-2105.
• In June we will be holding a park-by-park fitness program. Each program will be designed around each park throughout the city and will be for the entire family. Please contact the Recreation Department after June 15 for more information and schedule.
• Senior exorcise classes take place in the Recreation Center every Monday and Thursday at 11AM. The cost is only $2.00 per session
• In the fall we will be adding Senior Dance class to the schedule as well.
• In late June we will start registration for our summer Senior Bocce Ball league. This is a co-ed league and will take place twice a week at the new Bocce Ball Courts at Columbus Park. Please Contact the Recreation Center for more information.
No matter what shape you are in, together we can rise to the challenge to get more active during the month of May, and June.