4/15/2011 - Summit Avenue Road Closures
NJDOT begins next stage of South Summit Avenue
bridge deck replacement in Hackensack
Roadway closures and traffic shifts scheduled to accommodate construction
(Trenton) – The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced new traffic patterns associated with the ongoing project to replace the South Summit Avenue bridge deck above all lanes of Interstate 80 and over the southbound lanes of Route 17 in Hackensack, Bergen County.
On Thursday night, April 14, NJDOT’s contractor, J.F.Creamer & Son Joint Venture with Joseph M. Sanzari, Inc., is scheduled to shift South Summit Avenue travel lanes to the newly reconstructed western side of the bridge and begin demolition and reconstruction on the eastern side, maintaining one lane in each direction. To create the new construction zone, NJDOT will temporarily close single lanes on South Summit Avenue during overnight hours.
From 8:30 p.m. Friday, April 15 to 8 a.m. Saturday, April 16 and from 7 p.m. Saturday, April 16 to 10 a.m. Sunday, April 17, South Summit Avenue southbound is scheduled to be closed to traffic overnight to allow for bridge demolition work. South Summit Avenue northbound, which provides emergency access to Hackensack University Hospital, will remain open.
· South Summit Avenue southbound motorists will be detoured to Essex Street to Route 17 southbound to South Summit Avenue.
Also over the weekend, NJDOT will close Mary Street between South Summit Avenue and S. Prospect Street.
The Route 17 northbound ramp to South Summit Avenue remains closed for bridge reconstruction and ramp realignment, as do the ramp movements from South Summit Avenue northbound to Route 17 northbound and South Summit Avenue southbound to Route 17. During the long-term ramp closures:
· Route 17 northbound motorists destined for South Summit Avenue will continue to Essex Street southbound to South Summit Avenue.
· South Summit Avenue northbound motorists destined for Route 17 northbound will continue to Essex Street northbound to Route 17 northbound.
· South Summit Avenue southbound motorists destined for Route 17 southbound will continue to W. Pleasant Avenue to Route 17 southbound.
· Mary Street motorists will take South Summit Avenue to Standish Avenue to S. Prospect Street to Mary Street.
The $4.8 million federally funded project will replace the existing, structurally deficient bridge deck, resurface the bridge approaches, install a new signal on the ramp from Route 17 northbound to South Summit Avenue and install new sidewalks, lighting and guide rail. The bridge deck replacement work is being accomplished in stages so that South Summit Avenue will remain open to traffic during the majority of construction. All work is weather dependent.
NJDOT will maintain all available travel lanes on I-80 and Route 17 mainline during daytime and peak period hours. The project is expected to be complete in November 2011.
Variable message signs will notify motorists of upcoming traffic pattern changes. NJDOT provides emergency roadway information, construction schedule updates and real time traffic information and images at www.511nj.org