5/20/2005 - Hackensack Fire Briefs


On Friday, April 29, 2005, 6:15PM, the Hackensack Fire Department received a call reporting a structure fire at 50 South State Street.  On arrival, the members of the First Platoon found heavy fire engulfing the rear of the structure from the first floor to the attic and the fire extended to the structures on either side, 46 and 52 South State Street.


With the three structures involved in fire, the Fire Department mounted an aggressive attack to confine the fire from extending to additional structures and extinguishing the fire in all structures.


Assistance was summoned to help provide relief on the scene and maintain fire protection for the rest of the City by Mid-Bergen Mutual Aid Group. 


There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.  Nine occupants of the building s were relocated by the Red Cross.  The fire was placed under control at 7:48PM.



On Thursday, May 5, 2005, at 1:02PM, the Fire Department received a radio alarm from Fire Inspector Charles Eyer reporting a structure fire at 162 Poplar Avenue.



On arrival the members of the Third Platoon found heavy fire on the first floor of the structure extending to the second floor via the interior stairwell.


All occupants exited the building, however many of their pets were unaccounted for.


During primary and secondary searches of the structure three (3) cats were found and removed alive.  The fire was placed under control at 1:33PM.  The occupants were relocated with family members.  One Fire Captain sustained an injury to his shoulder during the fire.

On Sunday, May 8, 2005, 5:03AM the Hackensack Fire Department received a phone call reporting an apartment fire 344 Prospect Avenue.  On arrival members of the First Platoon found heavy smoke and fire showing from windows in the fifth floor.  All firefighting equipment was carried into the building and up to the fifth floor apartment.  With the equipment in place and hose lines charged, an aggressive attack was made on the heavy fire and thick black smoke conditions in the apartment.


As the Engine Companies fought and confined the fire, members of Ladder Co. 1, Engine 2 and Rescue Co. 1 started a primary search, crawling beneath the smoke and heat. 


At this time the firefighters found a male victim unconscious in his bed.  The members removed the victim from the apartment, initiated CPR and passed the victim to Emergency Medical Service who transported to Hackensack Medical.


Following extinguishment of the fire, all occupancies were evaluated by Fire Department and found safe for the occupants to return.