Hackensack Police Department
225 State St. Hackensack, NJ 07601
Chief Charles K. Zisa
Holiday Safety Tips
The holiday season is upon us and everyone is in a festive spirit. Lets not get preoccupied and give criminals the opportunity to victimize our residents.
Chief Zisa and the Hackensack Police Department recommend you follow these safety tips during the holiday season.
• Always be ALERT and AWARE of your surroundings.
• Park in a well lit area.
• Never leave your car with the motor running either unoccupied or with children inside.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Carry your purse close to your body, make sure it is buttoned/zipped up.
• Don't leave your purse, wallet or cell phone unattended.
• Wallets & purses are prime targets for criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops and buses.
• Minimize the amount of valuables that you leave in the car. If you leave valuables in the car (electronics, gifts, etc..), store them out of sight.
• Don't overburden yourself with packages.
• If you shop at night, shop with a friend. DRIVING
• If you attend parties where alcohol is served, always use a designated driver.
• BUCKLE UP!!!
• Avoid distractions such as talking on the phone.
• Prepare for winter driving conditions and equip your car with cold weather supplies.
• Be Patient! Give yourself extra time for travel.
• Always make your home appear that it is occupied.
• Use timers on interior lighting, is possible.
• Lock all windows & doors.
• Avoid opening doors to strangers.
• Ensure dark areas around your home are well lit after dark.
• Place gifts where they can't be seen from the outside.
For further information contact Sgt. Jaime Barrios/Crime Prevention Unit at 201-646-7592